Washington is guilty of “double standards,” the Chinese Foreign Ministry has claimed
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has condemned America’s refusal to allow a UN-led investigation into the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines. A Russian-sponsored resolution for a probe failed to pass a vote at the UN Security Council earlier this week.
Speaking at a media briefing on Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning claimed that Washington is “keen to carry out so-called ‘investigations’ of developing nations, yet is secretive on this incident.” The diplomat argued that the US attitude was an example of “obvious double standards,” and suggested that officials in Washington were “afraid of” something. Mao said China hopes that the perpetrators will be “brought to justice” as soon as possible.
During the UN Security Council vote on the draft resolution for an independent Nord Stream investigation on Monday, Brazil, China, and Russia backed the proposal, while 12 other members abstained. If adopted, the resolution would have requested the secretary general to establish an independent commission to conduct a “comprehensive, transparent, and impartial international investigation” of the incident, which happened in September last year.
US intelligence destroyed Nord Stream pipelines – Putin
The US claimed the proposal was intended to undermine the national investigations being run by Germany, Denmark, and Sweden. Germany was the intended recipient of Russian natural gas pumped through the sabotaged pipelines. Denmark and Sweden are conducting probes as the explosions which ruptured the energy link occurred in their territorial waters.
China’s deputy representative to the UN, Geng Shuang, argued that there was no obstacle to holding an international investigation in parallel with national ones.
Geng also noted that the trio of European nations had already had six months to conduct their probes. Beijing expects them “to increase their sense of urgency, report the progress of the investigations to the Security Council in a timely and regular manner, and find out and announce the results of the investigations as soon as possible,” the Chinese delegation said in a statement.
Veteran investigative journalist Seymour Hersh claimed last month that the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines was ordered by US President Joe Biden and was conducted jointly by America and Norway. Both nations have denied those allegations. Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week that he “fully agreed” with Hersh’s conclusions.